Bob Dylan once sang, “Yesterday's just a memory. Tomorrow is never what it's supposed to be.”
It’s hard to imagine more prescient words as the world grapples with the difficult, unprecedented, and global impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). As we create greater social isolation, we simultaneously become more connected than ever before in our battle with this pandemic. Our thoughts are with those directly and indirectly impacted.
As the spread of COVID-19 hits home for so many, disrupting lives and communities, my team has been working all hours to ensure that our students and clients receive the quality experience we've promised them, and that our staff can continue to do their best work – all in a safe, remote environment.
I want to share some of the steps we’ve taken as a company to guarantee that we continue to deliver on our promise to help the world find value in data, while keeping our students and staff safe:
- - We transitioned all winter bootcamp cohorts in New York City, San Francisco, and Chicago to live online delivery for the remainder of the program.
- - We transitioned all spring bootcamp cohorts in New York City, San Francisco, and Chicago to live online delivery for at least the first two weeks of the program. While we hope to be back in the classroom after week two, we will make that decision based on guidance from local and national governmental authorities.
- - We continue to run all our bootcamp prep courses live online, as always.
- - We are providing options to our corporate clients to transition the delivery of in-person training to live online training.
- - We have required all our staff to work from home.
- - We have cancelled all on-campus events, moving the majority of them to live online.
While these changes have happened in record time and are not without occasional hiccups, we are fortunate that we are no stranger to providing exceptional online learning experiences. Metis is a part of Kaplan, a pioneer in online learning. More specifically, we have been running bootcamp prep courses and corporate training live online for the past two years; we have run Demystifying Data Science, the world’s largest live online data science conference, for the past three years; and we successfully launched our live online bootcamp this winter. These milestones give me confidence that we are prepared to support the data community in the weeks and months ahead.
On our FAQ page, we’ve provided answers to questions you might have about the impact of COVID-19 on bootcamp programs. If you still have a question about our bootcamp and bootcamp prep courses, please reach out to [email protected]. Rest assured that we plan to run all future bootcamps and classes according to the originally planned schedule and are currently accepting applications and enrollments. If you have a question about our corporate training, please reach out to [email protected].
The situation is evolving rapidly. Our strategies and tactics to support you will evolve as well, but our commitment to our students, clients and staff will not change. At Metis, our mantra is, “We strive, we sweat, we swear. We go the extra mile. We stage, we fail. We try again. Get it right. We learn. Connect. Come together. This is Metis.”
Never before have I witnessed the Metis community -- our full-time staff, our part-time teachers and TAs, our global alumni community -- strive harder to go the extra mile for our students and clients. Similarly, never before has there been a more important time for all of us to connect and come together.
Stay safe and continue to embrace your love of finding value in data.