NEW Python for Beginners Course Starts July 27! View Course
Course Report Interviews Metis Graduate, BuzzFeed Data Scientist Jamie Fradkin
By Emily Wilson • November 30, 2017
Course Report, a most excellent resource for all things data science bootcamp, recently interviewed Metis graduate Jamie Fradkin about the evolution of her current role as a Data Scientist at BuzzFeed, where she's now worked for more than a year-and-a-half. Fradkin, a former biomedical engineer, attended our Data Science Bootcamp in New York City after a decision to switch careers because of her desire to make use of her math and statistics skills.
In this interview, Course Report asks Fradkin about a number of topics we think you'll find interesting:
- Her educational and professional background
- Why she chose to attend a bootcamp (and why Metis?)
- The Metis application process
- The bootcamp experience overall - what's it like to be a student on a daily basis?
- The post-Metis job application process - how much help does Metis Career Services provide?
- The interview and hiring processes at BuzzFeed
- The day-to-day breakdown of her current role
- What technologies she's using most on the job
- Advice for anyone applying to a bootcamp and/or looking to switch careers to data science
You'll find all that and more in this interview, which we encourage you to read in full. And if you're interested in attending our bootcamp in New York City, San Francisco, Seattle, or Chicago, please note our upcoming deadlines for Winter sessions are approaching fast – be sure to apply soon!
Once the concept of AI grabbed the attention of bootcamp graduate Alex Smith, she began a self-study regimen. “The more I learned about data science in particular, the more I became convinced not only of its power to solve difficult problems but convinced that I wanted to use this incredible toolset to solve problems that I care about,” she said. Read how she went from the humanities to a career in data science.
Bootcamp graduate Linda Ju, now a Data Science Consultant at Slalom in Seattle, recently took to Medium to write a blog series about her career transition from finance to data science and how her experience in the Data Science Bootcamp helped her get there.
In this infographic, we break down a data set that’s near and dear to our hearts: one that represents our Data Science Bootcamp alumni. Find out where our grads are working and within what industries, where many of them call home across the United States and the world, what they studied pre-bootcamp, and much more.