Have you tried Metis Admissions Prep? It's free! Sign Up
Course Report Interviews Metis Graduate, BuzzFeed Data Scientist Jamie Fradkin
By Emily Wilson • November 30, 2017
Course Report, a most excellent resource for all things data science bootcamp, recently interviewed Metis graduate Jamie Fradkin about the evolution of her current role as a Data Scientist at BuzzFeed, where she's now worked for more than a year-and-a-half. Fradkin, a former biomedical engineer, attended our Data Science Bootcamp in New York City after a decision to switch careers because of her desire to make use of her math and statistics skills.
In this interview, Course Report asks Fradkin about a number of topics we think you'll find interesting:
- Her educational and professional background
- Why she chose to attend a bootcamp (and why Metis?)
- The Metis application process
- The bootcamp experience overall - what's it like to be a student on a daily basis?
- The post-Metis job application process - how much help does Metis Career Services provide?
- The interview and hiring processes at BuzzFeed
- The day-to-day breakdown of her current role
- What technologies she's using most on the job
- Advice for anyone applying to a bootcamp and/or looking to switch careers to data science
You'll find all that and more in this interview, which we encourage you to read in full. And if you're interested in attending our bootcamp in New York City, San Francisco, Seattle, or Chicago, please note our upcoming deadlines for Winter sessions are approaching fast – be sure to apply soon!
Bootcamp graduates Joyce Lee and Matt Maresca covered a lot of ground using geography as a framework to design their final projects. Lee did on a county-by-county analysis to predict mortality rates from overdoses, while Maresca used satellite imagery to map farmland, urban development, and natural resources in Shanghai. Read the post for more!
News media has been through a lot of change during the past decade, especially in terms of its forced and jagged transition to digital production. This shift has come with the struggle to get readers to pay for digital subscriptions when free news online is often available with a click. Metis grad Kai-Ray Wang works to boost digital subscriptions at The New York Times as an Analytics Manager on the Consumer Acquisition team. Read his story here.
We love nothing more than spreading the news of our Data Science Bootcamp graduates' successes in the field. Here, enjoy a video interview produced by Heretik, where graduate Jannie Chang now works as a Data Scientist, then read an interview between deeplearning.ai and graduate Joe Gambino, Data Scientist at IDEO.